12 oz. dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into quarters
5 medium leeks, washed, quartered lengthwise and sliced thin
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. butter
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
6 cups stock (chicken or vegetable...homemade chicken is the best)
1/2 wedge of good parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) Rinse the garbanzo beans, put in a pot with the potato, cover with water and simmer for about an hour (until tender).
2) Meanwhile, melt the butter and 1 Tbs. olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the leeks and salt, and cook until soft and sweet (about 20 minutes).
3) Drain the chickpeas and potato when done, add to the leeks, and cook for a minute or two.
4) Add half the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) Remove 2/3rds of the soup from the pot, puree with the rest of the stock, and add back to the pot with 2 Tbs. olive oil.
6) Add parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
Note: This might benefit from cooking a glass of white wine with the leeks. I'll have to try it the next time I make it.